Sharing With Love

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Yoga and Pilates: The Fish Pose aka Matsyasana.

The Matsyasana is another pose that is said to be good for stress and indigestion. It helps a person to stay calm and improve their concentration. Some websites claim this pose helps ease menstrual cramps too. I’ve yet to work on this pose well.

According to Yoga Mind and Body (DK Living), beginners start this pose by lying on the floor facing up and then propping the body up with the elbows. As you do this, you bend your head backwards and let the top of your head touch the floor. As I did this, I felt the blood rushing to my head. The other 2 ways to get into the Matsyasana is from a cross legged position and also the lotus position. I feel that the lotus + matsysana position is too advanced for me but I do feel comfortable when I just try it with my leg crossed and folded in.