Sharing With Love

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Yoga and Pilates Blog: The Adho Mukha Savasana aka Downward Dog pose


The Downward Dog is said to be another good one for curing indigestion. I’m not really sure of the logic because I wouldn’t do this when I’m having the acid reflux problem. My first choice of curing indigestion would be the Varajsana because your body is kept upright and it does provide some relieve.

I will only dare try the downward dog when my stomach is feeling ok. I’ve done this a few times before bedtime and it does help me sleep a little better. The downward dog pose is really good for stretching the hamstrings because you can really feel the stretch at the back of your legs. I do feel the blood rushing down my head a bit before getting down further to plank position. The basic plank position is good for strengthening your abdominals. Be sure to keep your body flat and not stick your butt up. (see my stick cartoon figure, hand drawn by me) And while I’m at the plank position, I would switch to a lunge position by putting one leg forward to challenge the strength of the legs. After that I would switch legs forward before coming back again to a standing pose. This sounds a bit like the sun salutation huh? Well..yeah, modified by me. It doesn’t hurt to improvise a little here and there.