Sharing With Love

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Yoga and Pilates Blog: The Thigh Rock Back and the Virasana Pose

Pilates class was good as usual. We used the gym sticks and boy, do my lower belly and hips area ache! There is one particular pose that is very interesting because it reminds me closely of the Supta Varasana pose in yoga. In this pose, you get down on your knees but don’t sit on your heels. Check out my stick figure drawing of how this looks like. (I couldn’t get a picture and this was the best I could do by drawing it out.) When you lean back on your knees, you have to use your quadriceps, abs and thigh muscles. This will strengthen those muscles in those areas. For more challenge, put a yoga block between your thighs and lean back. This pose may feel tiring at first. Well, with the number of hours that we spend sitting down all day in the office, the thighs will definitely burn when you do this.

After doing this pose, I would then move on to virasana. Yes, I’m still practicing sitting on my heels and I’m trying to hold it for a little longer than 10 counts. I can’t lie backwards yet. My muscles are still very tight but practice makes perfect. I still need to place a towel on my knees and ankles because my bony legs and joints dig into the floor and it hurts. The Virasana does really help to relieve an uncomfortable stomach. I’m absolutely in love with this pose and I hope to keep indigestion at bay by practicing the Virasana more. (Keeping my fingers crossed)