Sharing With Love

Friday, October 29, 2010

Knitting and Shaping. I’ve got it!

My experiment has been a success! Now I know how to knit with a shape!  This is pretty useful for knitting necklines, along the arm holes etc.  Check out the end result below but ignore the messy edges….I didn’t do a proper cast off at the edges.
The steps are pretty easy.

First you do a swatch to figure out the gauge. For eg: How many stitches make up 1 cm in a row and how many stitches make up 1cm in terms of the height. This step is essential if you are making something to wear.

Next you draw it out on graph paper the shape that you want. If the line passes through at least half the square, mark an ‘x’ on it. If it doesn’t, leave it. Refer to my previous blog on how I drew the squares for the project above. You will definitely get the shape you want. And you don’t have to spend money on software for knitting patterns. . I hope you found this blog useful.

There are people who say that knitting mathematics can also help you get the same results. I believe so too. I think it has something to do with calculating the gradient of a curve using differentiation of a quadratic equation and then working out the area below the curve. I’ll save that for another time to experiment on – after I revise the maths that I learnt a donkey’s years ago. Cheerio!