Sharing With Love

Saturday, November 27, 2010

My First Sock Project


I’m now knitting my very first sock project using a ‘trainee’ pattern. This sock is a tiny version of the real thing because this is just a pattern to get a feel of how to knit real socks in the future. And guess what, I’ve just made my first mistake so I learnt something I should do in future.

The way you knit the stitches can make a difference whether it’s done in the round or as a flat piece. I was knitting the stockinette stitch in the round for the cuff of the sock so I used the knit stitch for each round. Then when I came to part when I had to put half the stitches onto a stitch holder and knit the other half for the heel, I made my first mistake. The stitches on the heel are to be knitted as a flat piece. While intending to knit with the stockinette stitch, I continued to knit each row and the result was….oh no…the garter stitch….you see, when I came to that part, I was supposed to knit one row and purl one row to make the stitch look more consistent with the stitches on the cuff. I already knew that but I wasn’t thinking….bah!

I think I won’t waste time to undo it. Since this is just a trainee project, I’ll just continue all the way to see how this will turn out. Oh well….it’s good to make mistakes now with the trainee project than on the real project right?