Sharing With Love

Sunday, November 28, 2010

The International Phonetic Alphabet System

Today I searched the net on the international Phonetic Alphabet and learnt that those pronunciation keys that we see in our English dictionaries are part of this IPA list. Did you know that with the help of the IPA, we can use this system to help us pronounce other foreign languages better too? The problem is, I don’t know how some of the foreign sounds are like. The Russian words that I’ve been trying to memorize have a lot of sounds that I’m not familiar with and that makes it so difficult to learn them. Nevertheless, this IPA key is very useful for any other languages that I want to master like German, French, Spanish. I’ll need to pay more attention to the pronunciation key when I look up these dictionaries.