Sharing With Love

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Lessons I Have Learned From Yoga

By Julie Devine


My yoga experience started with the local park district about 10 years ago. The class was called, "Practical Yoga". I made the investment in a basic yoga mat and strap as well as two foam blocks at our local Target store.

It felt wonderful and was affordable. I was so excited to learn different poses and find that each practice was massaging all of my inner organs. I slept so well after my evening yoga class. My flexibility improved greatly. I repeatedly signed up for more.

Then as life would have it, I experienced some serious health issues that required surgery. My yoga practice derailed! I went from doing shoulder stands and plows to becoming increasingly sedentary and depressed. Thoughts of being too old and being out of shape bubbled up into my thoughts. I spun myself into a very negative tail spin.

I realized I have to control my own life. I've made many healthy life style changes. I no longer drink coffee and avoid all caffeine. Yogi tea is a real treat to enjoy. I focused on the tags on Yogi tea bag to read wonderfully uplifting messages. I read the side of the box and learned yet another new pose with meaning.

Alas, it took a few years but my yoga connection was reestablished. This time it is in a gentle yoga environment. It seems like no pose is off limits. I believed my stronger poses to be a thing of the past. There is some truth to this, but with aids, I'm getting better all the time.

I've learned to use my breath properly with movement. It's been recommended to use a 5/7 method. Inhale deeply for 5 counts and exhale for 7 counts. Stale air trapped inside doesn't help at all.

My yoga instructors have taken the time to show me modifications and allowed the use of chairs when needed. The bridge pose is one of my favorites. I'm told it can help with depression. It's working for me. I've learned that while lying down, my head should be higher than my heart. I've learned that placing my feet up the wall with elevated legs is a very restorative pose.

One yoga instructor shared that any amount of time with the feet up the wall allows the blood to fill the trunk of the body and provide extra blood to the organs. If time permits 15 minutes of elevating my legs against the wall it is equivalent to 2 hours of restful sleep to the body! Bring me to the nearest wall!

I've learned to use the yoga blocks made to lean on, placed under my hips for support, placed under my sacrum, and even squeezed between my thighs for proper distance and sensation awareness. Sometimes I rest my forehead on a block when my back is tight while in child pose.

I've recently had a Master Yoga teacher put pressure on my elevated feet pushing the head of the femur (thigh bone) into the hip socket. I was told that would help my body create more bone density. I just ordered two sand bags from a yoga website to fill and use for that purpose. I might as well put pressure on the top of my feet when they rest against the wall.

Balance is a key factor. Always do both sides of your body with poses. Your body may feel differently from side to side and on different days. I know mine does! I've seen the tree pose with strong yoga practitioners when the foot is to the side and pressed up the inner thigh. I've learned that there are different heights to achieve and beneath the knee is an acceptable modification. Actually, moving my foot perpendicular above my inner ankle is my most common tree pose and it's just as effective! It's essential to line up over the joint with the knee and ankle.

I'm learning that no matter how crazy my mornings begin, I can usually fit in a couple of sun salutations and downward facing dogs before brushing my teeth. Even my pets do that pose stretch upon rising. Now I know where the name "downward dog" came from! Sometimes, just a couple "cat/cow" flexes when on all fours helps my spine stretch and realign. I guess we can learn from some poses used in the animal kingdom.

I still am not able to pronounce many of the Yoga Sanskrit names for poses, but continue to learn the English versions. I've been so lucky to rediscover the wonderful world of yoga and blessed to have patient teachers. I won't become disconnected from yoga ever again.

The blissful night's sleep has returned. My body loves it! Yoga brings me both peace and ignites my inner warrior! Acceptance is so important, especially of one's self. Yoga allows for that.

Julie Devine is a gentle yoga enthusiast who loves using her body. She loves to learn and share helpful information about yoga.