Sharing With Love

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Yoga and Pilates blog: Virasana and Vajrasana

And now , back to my experiment to see how much yoga can help cure indigestion. I searched the net and discovered a pose known as Virasana where you kneel and sit on your heels and then try to bend backwards. At my first try, I encountered pain at my knee and ankles because I could feel my bones digging into the hard floor. I had to use a towel to cushion those areas. And guess what, I think I over-stretched myself too. My knee didn’t feel too good the next day.

I am so interested in this pose because of the benefits that it can do for indigestion. However, what I didn’t notice was that the Virasana and the Vajrasana were 2 very similar poses but they weren’t the same. Even the spelling was so similar that I thought they were the same poses! Care has to be taken when doing these advance poses because it could result in injury if it’s done wrongly.

For now, I just do the basic Virasana by sitting on a yoga block and the vajrasana with a towel on my knees and ankles. Just sitting up for about 30 counts does help relief the wind in my stomach. According to Yoga Mind and Body (DK Living), just sitting in the basic Vajrasana alone is good for promoting digestion and we should go into that pose after a meal or even during a meal. As of now, I’m not flexible and to get to 30 counts, is an achievement. I will not attempt to bend backwards until I’m perfectly comfortable with sitting in the basic poses first.