Sharing With Love

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Getting the iphone to work when you first buy it.

Recently I joined the bandwagon and bought an iphone from the Apple Store. I was so excited about it that I had it delivered to me at my workplace. Yeah, I couldn’t wait. I had to resist the temptation to set it up at work but I controlled and patiently waited till I got home.

Then came the headache. I had a hard time setting it up to get it to work properly. To make matters worse, there were no detailed instructions on what to do from the moment you put in the SIM card. It took me a long time to figure out what to do but I made it. I thought it would be a good idea to share this knowledge with my readers out there. Maybe there are people out there who are facing the same problems too.

When I had first put in the SIM card, the screen simply said that there is is no service found and to please insert a valid SIM card. (oh dear, I can’t remember the exact message but you get the picture.) You can imagine how I panicked when I got that message. After spending 700 bucks on a phone , it couldn’t read my SIM card so I was upset. Fortunately I surfed and googled and learnt that….after putting in the SIM card, you have first have to connect the phone to your PC and download the iTunes software. You see, itunes must first recognize your phone before you can slide the virtual bar below to view the screen with the many icons. And the minimum itunes version for the iPhone 3GS is V9.2. I downloaded version 10.2 which is the latest at the moment and voila! It finally worked!! I can now make calls and send sms-es from it. By the way, I’m still using a 2G SIM card and yes, 2G SIM cards do work on 3G phones. You’ll hear more of my experiences if I have any more of it to share later.