Sharing With Love

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Secret Office Parties

I was feeling hungry one afternoon as my lunch was already digested by then. I was planning to get a snack from the pantry when my fellow hungry colleague called my extension.
"Psssst! Do you notice that a party is about to take place in the staff lounge?"
"Yeah," I replied. "I sure did."

We had both seen a big cake, probably a birthday cake of some sort, and some boxes of food neatly stacked on the table in there. There was a few people busy laying out the food nicely on the table. The boss had forbidden food to be brought into the lounge but certain people had the privilege to flout the rules. I saw that one guy was busy taking pictures of his colleagues and another lighting the candles on the cake. It was also the umpteenth time that month that a party was being celebrated there. It’s usually the same group of people.

"Do you think it's for the boss?" My colleague was curious because the boss's birthday was indeed coming soon.

"I don't know. But even if it was, I don't think we would be invited." I told her. Most of the people in that room were of the same gang. They're the ones who kissed the boss's ass whenever he was around but took long breaks whenever the boss was out for a meeting. In this office, there was such thing being in or out of that group. Those who were out, didn't like them. Those who were in were proud to be one of them. Being in or out of a group has its privileges, especially when the group has certain people who feel rich with power and use it to gain popularity. There'll always be people who will get away with murder. That's life in this organization.

"Let's not go to the pantry so soon," replied my ever hopeful colleague. "If this was the boss's birthday, I'm sure they would invite us. They have a lot of food in there." As she spoke those words, the group in that room broke into a birthday song. The walls in the office were very thin and we could hear the song loud and clear. However, we couldn't quite make out whose name it was.
"Did you hear the name?"
"Nope"
"Do you think it was for the boss?" I looked up and saw the boss leaving his room and heading for the lobby. He had returned to his room to grab something and leave again. The lounge was totally out of his sight. He had no idea there was a secret party behind one of those walls. "Nope, I just saw him leaving the office. He didn't seem to notice."
"Dang!"
"Yeah, let's get some pantry food."
Life is never fair.