Sharing With Love

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Year One

Verdict of the theatre
I watched this show on 27 August 2009 at Eng Wah, Suntec City at 3.10pm. (Theatre 3) The theatre was very cramp. The row in front was very close to my row and I had little leg room to stretch my legs in front. Fortunately it was the off peak hour (office hour) and my row was empty so I could turn either to the left or right to stretch. After the movie, My knees felt stiff and it took a while for me to be able to get up and walk down the stairs properly.

The Plot
It's quite a comedy with some explicit jokes. Year One is a comedy about the old testament in the bible with some its stories being stretched and told in rather a creative way. It's about two cavemen Zed and Oh meeting some familiar characters such as Adam, Eve, Cain, Abel, Abraham and Isaac. The story is written by the guy who brought you the Ghostbusters and the one played the role of Splegler ( I can't spell his name but I know his character collects moulds, spores and fungus in that movie).

Verdict of the Movie
Although I had a good laugh in the movie and found the story very creative, it wasn't a movie that left the same impression I had as The Hangover. Perhaps the writer was trying to include too many details into the main storyline. I don't know but it just doesn’t have that much of a wow factor for me.

In this movie, the protagonist's objective is to leave his village and explore the world. Along the way he discovers that world was not flat at all. Somewhere at the beginning of the story, there was some mention that the world is flat and that it rested on the back of a giant turtle in space. Now does that sound familiar? (I'm also a fan of Terry Pratchett's books, hee hee!) The usual boy likes girl but girl prefers someone else line is also included in this movie along with the zero to hero storyline.

I shall give a rating of 5 out of 10 for this movie. It's just so-so.